All about food and drinks
If you are studying in Australia, you should also try Australian food and drinks. It varies from person to person on what is called “best food”, but we recommend you to try some of the foods that we have listed below, as they are popular in Australia.
- Meat pies: Meat pies are one of the most popular and common Australian food that can be bought from any grocery store. These small pies are usually stuffed with gravy, minced meat and vegetables.
- Lamington: Lamington is an Australian cake that is a square of sponge cake. Its outer layer is coated with chocolate and covered in coconut. It remains a popular dessert in Australia. You can buy lamingtons from supermarkets such as ALDI, IGA and Woolworths.
- Pavlova: Pavlova is a dessert named after the Russian ballerina Anna Pavlova. This dish is a popular and important part of Australian cuisine and is frequently made and served during celebrations. It is absolutely delicious and you should try it.
- Sausage roll: A sausage roll is a pastry snack that can be bought from retail outlets, bakeries or café. A sausage roll is a sheet of puff pastry that wraps sausage meat and is baked.
- Barramundi: The barramundi is a species of fish that is widely available in the Pacific region including northern Australia. Barramundi is originated from the Australian Aboriginal language of the Rockhampton area in Queensland which means “large-scaled river fish”. It is a popular fish variety and is commonly served in café and restaurants.
- Fish and chips: Fish and chips is a dish that consists of battered and fried fish, and chips. It originated from England and it is a popular dish among Commonwealth nations including Australia.
- Chicken parmigiana: Australians are crazy for Chicken parmigiana. It is commonly available in Australian pubs with beer. Chicken parmigiana is basically a chicken schnitzel topped with a tomato sauce and melted cheese.
Apart from what is listed above, you can also try food from every country as Australia is a multi-cultural country. You can find food from many countries around the world if you explore a bit in the city you are living in. If you are a foodie who likes to try cuisines of other countries you can try varieties of food such as Chinese dumplings, Indian chicken tikka masala, Italian pizza, French soufflé and so on.