English language requirements to study in Australia

Are you planning on going abroad for studies? More specifically, Australia? Then you are on the right path!

Australia being one of the most welcoming and multicultural countries makes a great place for a student to go for studies, the number of things you learn on the way and the experiences you get from living in a place like this are endless.

Not only that, but the number of great colleges and universities that exist in Australia gives you a great variety of options and also makes a good impression on your resume due to the impeccable international reputation that Australia has. In addition to that, the living expenses and the tuition cost of studying in Australia are lower when compared to the living expenses and tuition cost of other countries like the UK or the USA. However, this does not affect the country’s living standards since Australia’s living standards are one of the highest in the world.

Now, if you have made up or are in the process of making up your mind to go to Australia for your education, then there are certain things you might want to know before applying for a student visa.

One of the main things is, giving English tests to provide proof for your English language skills.

Why do I need to give English tests?

Australia’s local language is English; therefore, the language in which they teach their courses is English as well. So, to ensure that you are capable of understanding the course being taught to you, some English Language Proficiency tests are required. The English language requirements vary from course to course and the skills needed for it. Similarly, different institutions will have different entry requirements for you to qualify for their standards.

So, to help you out, we have all the information you’ll need to apply for a student visa in Australia, so let’s start!

Which English proficiency Tests are required?

Below is the list of 5 English language tests that are accepted in Australia when applying for a student visa. However, the results of these tests are only valid if they are completed two years before applying for a student visa.

  1. Cambridge English: Advanced (CAE)
  2. Occupational English Test (OET)
  3. International English Language Testing System (IELTS)
  4. Pearson Tests of English (PTE)
  5. Test of English as a Foreigner Language (internet-based test) (TOEFL)

(Note: very limited countries accept the paper-based test)

Is it necessary to take these tests?

Absolutely not! If you come under any of the below-listed categories, you are good to go because you will not have to provide any evidence for your English language skills when applying for a visa:

1.If you are a passport holder or have citizenship of any of these below-stated places;

  • United States of America
  • United Kingdom
  • Republic of Ireland
  • Canada
  • New Zealand

2.If you have completed a minimum of 5 years,

  • Australia
  • South Africa
  • Canada
  • New Zealand
  • Republic of Ireland

3.If you have either completed Senior Secondary Certificate of Education or Certificate IV level or Higher in Australia

4.If you are a Defence Sponsored or a Foreign Affair student.

What is the minimum test score?

Minimum scores required for the tests mentioned above can vary for every course. For example, a bachelor’s in Nursing course will have different requirements than a bachelor’s In IT course. So, depending on which course you choose, your minimum scores are going to change. Not only that, but there are few other factors that may cause a variation in the minimum scores required, for example, what institution you are choosing, which degree you are choosing, which country’s citizenship you’re holding, or if you aim to fulfil an ELICOS course once you come to Australia.

However, the minimum scores that are accepted while applying for a student visa for each of the tests are listed below:

  • International English Language Testing System (IELTS):  5.5
  • Cambridge English: Advanced (CAE): 162
  • Occupational English Test (OET): Pass, i.e., A/B
  • Test Of English as a Foreigner Language (internet-based test) (TOEFL): 46
  • Pearson Tests of English (PTE): 42

However, the minimum scores for you to gain entry into the courses you desire are higher.

What if I can’t get the minimum required score?

If you’ve failed to achieve the minimum scores required, don’t worry! In this case, you might want to opt for the “English Language Intensive Courses for Overseas Students,” also known as the ELICOS program, prior to commencing your desired course or degree to up your English language skills. It ranges from the course that is short, which takes up to a few weeks, or courses that are longer, taking up to a year-long diploma.


In the end, to summarize it, there are various ways such as giving English Proficiency Tests like ILETS (International English Language Testing System), CAE (Cambridge English: Advanced), PTE (Pearson Tests of English), TOEFL (Test Of English as a Foreigner Language) OET(Occupational English Test), to provide proof of your English Language Skills, which happens to be a very necessary skill for you, if you want to live and/or study in Australia since it is the third most increasingly popular place other than the United Kingdom and the United States of America, for international students, in the English speaking world.

So, with the requirements mentioned above (and a few more), you can opt for any college, university, and any of their courses or degree from the huge range of options Australia has to offer, while also enjoying all the things it is gifted with, ranging from beautiful sights, clean and fresh air, to kangaroos and koalas.

If you are planning to come to Australia, you have come to the right page. We will keep you informed with our up-to-date information, news and blogs.

How to become an Uber driver in Australia

How to become an Uber driver

Top 10 Australian Universities

Top Australian Universities

USA vs Australia for the international students

USA vs Australia for the international students
Australia for Students