Things to do after graduation

Congratulations to the international students who are about to complete their graduation. There is no doubt that it is a moment of appreciation for international students and their guardians, but remember the real struggle of life has begun. After completing your graduation degree, you have some decisions to make about your future.

Some frequent questions asked by international students are what should I do after completing my studies? What are the best options for me after my graduation in Australia? Are international students eligible to get a job in Australia? If yes, on what criteria? Should I continue my studies? etc. All these questions revolve around a specific theme, “what next.”

Before answering these questions, international students have to decide whether to live in Australia or move back to their home country.

If you decide to stay in Australia, you may have these options. But please remember, this advice list provided is not exhaustive.

  1. Collect points for Permanent residency

It is a fact that the majority of international students dream of staying in Australia after completing their graduation. This dream can come true by collecting points enough to get permanent residency. You can apply for Australian Permanent Residency (PR), which allows you to remain in Australia for an indefinite time and grab more employment opportunities. Many international students are collecting these points from the start of their education, sometimes even unknowingly, as some of the points needed to get residency are given for the academic qualification and applicant’s age. However, the points you get from your qualification and age are not enough to get residency. To get more points, the majority of the students struggle. But do not worry, everyone is not the same. Some people have better English skills and prior work experience which make it easier to gain points. For now, let us focus on what is required to get sufficient points for the residency.

International students must meet the criteria of 65 points to qualify for Permanent Residency.

  • Points you can get from your education:
  1. Doctorate: 20 points
  2. Masters: 15 points
  3. Diploma: 10 points
  4. Any Qualification of 2 or more years done in Australia gives: 5 points
  5. Completing the Professional Year Program (Graduations of IT, Engineering and Accounting) adds 5 points to the chart
  6. Completion of any course from regional Australian Institute holds 5 points

Note: Having a master degree by research or doctorate awards an extra 10 points

  • Points you can get from your fluency in English:
  1. Having competent English gets you 0 points
  2. Having proficient English gets you 10 points
  3. Having superior English gets you 20 points

Note: Holding a Credentialed Community Language (CCL or NAATI) certificate is a bonus, which gives 5 points.

  • Points you can get from your work experience:

Work experience in Australia:

  1. Less than one year: 0 points
  2. 1 year: 5 points
  3. 3 years: 10 points
  4. 5 years: 15 points
  5. 8 years: 20 points

Work experience outside Australia:

  1. Less than three years: 0 points
  2. 3 years: 5 points
  3. 5 years: 10 points
  4. 8 years: 20 points

International students can also get points from State or Regional sponsorships. State Sponsorship offers 5 points if nominated, whereas Regional Sponsorship allocates 15 points.

Note: An applicant cannot be nominated for both State and Regional sponsorship.

For more details, you can visit our PR calculator page or PR points table page.

  1. Broaden your study scope in Australia

You can decide to stay in Australia for higher studies. It can help you in various ways. Firstly, you are well aware of the Australian education system, which will make your further study easier than going to a new country and starting all over again. Secondly, it will give ample time to collect points towards the permanent residency. Moreover, it will help you build a strong portfolio by gathering new degrees, which will eventually help you get the desired jobs. Last but not least, if PR criteria are still not met, which is a minimum of 65 points, this will help them gain more points provided you do at least a master degree by research, as a second degree.

Note: PR has a limited quota; there is a lot of competition out there. Some people out there even have 100 points; in that case, you have to make as many points as you can; otherwise, you won’t even get an invitation to apply for permanent residency. Applying for PR in occupations like nursing is more accessible rather than applying under accounting.

Criteria for continuing further studies:

  • Apply for a new course before the admissions deadline by the particular university.
  • Make sure you have fund evidence, which reflects enough money for further studies plus the living expense.
  • Renew your OSHC (Overseas Student Health Cover) insurance.
  • Apply for a new student visa before your current student visa expires. You can contact the Department of Home Affairs for any quires regarding visa policies. Alternatively, you can contact a registered migration agent to help you in applying for a student visa. If you already do not know any registered migration agent, then you can contact Karl Konrad. Karl Konrad is one of the most sought after migration agents in Australia.
  1. Make money before returning to your roots

After Graduation, everyone is eager to make money and wants to apply their newly gained knowledge in the practical field. However, we would like to advise you to gain 1 to 2 years of Australian work experience. The reason is: even if you want to go back and start a job there, you will struggle as you do not have experience in the field of study. Undoubtedly, the Australian degree holds its worth in every corner of this earth, but adding work experience will make it shine even brighter. Moreover, if you have earned money from your job, going back to your home country with some savings can build your confidence. And, do not forget to claim your money from your super fund.

If you re-consider living in Australia after your graduate visa expires, you need to re-apply for a second student.

  1. Re-locate to Canada

Canada has maintained its position as a top immigrant destination globally and is considered one of the happiest countries worldwide. Canada opens arms for everyone, especially for international students, without any discrimination of the human race. It is a lot easier to get PR in Canada than in Australia and with broader opportunities to grow their career.

There are better options for you in Canada; if you study and work there for more than one year, you can apply for the Canadian Experience Class. CEC is the fastest route to get PR in Canada.

Moreover, Canada offers a happy working environment. How? Firstly you may get employer insurance; you receive a salary even if your company goes down. Secondly, you receive health insurance up to 6500 dollars per year. They even give you paternal paid leaves up to 18 months so that you can spend time with your loved ones.

Canada does not leave you alone and they help you in time of need! They have organizations which help you find jobs and most importantly, they help you with your studies as well.


So, these were some of the options for you to do after graduation. You can either apply for permanent residency or go back to your home country. You can even move to Canada for jobs and permanent residency but it depends on you to decide.

If you are planning to come to Australia, you have come to the right page. We will keep you informed with our up-to-date information, news and blogs.

How to become an Uber driver in Australia

How to become an Uber driver

Top 10 Australian Universities

Top Australian Universities

USA vs Australia for the international students

USA vs Australia for the international students
Australia for Students